This is Monthly Mentor, a monthly list of things I discovered that you might like. Enjoy!
Want to support the Skill Collector blog? Share some articles with friends! Some of my recent favorites:
- [ Trailer 3:37 ] Ghostland - Ever wondered what we look like to people from a isolated Arfican culture? That's what this documentary will show us. (link to youtube)
- [ Hacker presentation 50:56 ] DEFCON 20: Hacker + Airplanes = No Good Can Come Of This - This guy is a bit of a legend in hacker land. In this talk he discusses some of the security issues involved with our current flight system. I am not even slightly shamed to admit this talk scared me. (link to youtube)
- [ Hacker presentation 46:17 ] Backdooring the front door - Humerous but ultimately depressing talk about how flawed keypad logins are. This guy can basically walk into any gated community and shows us how easy it is to get a master key to a lot of keypad systems. (link to youtube)
- [ Documentary 57:27 ] Spin - a 1995 documentary on media manipulation. While an old production, it is interesting to see how media sources have always been questionably neutral. (link to youtube)
- [ Animation 14:24 ] Time lapse of every nuclear explosion since 1945 - this is a very interesting animation that shows the sheer amount of tests we humans have done, and which countries engage and have engaged in actively testing nuclear weapons. (link to YouTube)
- [ Article ] The Data the Turned the World Upside Down - Turns out Big Data shaped Brexit and the Trump campaign. The profiling used goes down to the individual level. I am a geek and a futurist, but by Thor's hammer I did not expect that this was happening at this scale yet. This is so cool, and so very scary (link to vice)
- [ Research ] Origin of life - A simulation shows how a meteorite impact can result in the creation or RNA. (link to ars technica)
- [ New Service] Google Hire - at the time of writing the service is not live yet and nobody seems to know exactly what it will do. Seems like Google is trying to get people jobs. (link to service)
- [ Article ] Sadam Hussain bought 4000 Playstation systems - to power weapons systems. Reportedly his military wanted to use the hardware for intense calculations. Joke's on them in my opinion since PS devices have mediocre hardware for their price. (link to article)
- [ Podcast 15:00 ] Does eating meat cause cancer? - I've had this conversation multiple times with my girlfriend and assorted acquaintances. This breakdown is very helpful in understanding our current scientific understanding. (link to stitcher)
- [ Podcast 25:00 ] Does saturates fat cause heart disease? - No it does not. Other stuff does, I've critten on this before here. This podcast though is very helpful in giving a good overview of our current scientific understanding. (link to stitcher)
SHOPPINGS / APPS
- [ Android App ] Breezometer air quality alert - This app tells you the air quality of your current location and of your saved locations. On a scal of 1 to 100 it shows how good the air near you is. (link to play store)
- [ Shoes ] Skinners, sock/shoes - These are designed to do sports in. Basically they are socks made to do outdoor/indoor sports in. I've been looking for something like these for ages. They look amazing and I'm trying them out. (link to indiegogo)
- [ Course ] Gordon Ramsey teaches cooking - I have not taken this course, but am tempted by every single course they offer. (link to masterclass)
You sharing Skill Collector would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, so please do!
Have a great week!
Ps. The stuff I send you is intended to make your life better/easier/more fun. If you don't like the mails though, feel free to skip out. It's worth sticking around though!